Sunday, December 8, 2013

Exclusive interview with singer | songwriter Deejay Young

Deejay Young is a performer, who is globally on top of his performance skills, and adores the presence of the stage. Born and raised in Tampa, FL, he has always had a passion for music and singing. Young attended and graduated Howard W. Blake High School for the Arts in Tampa with a Master Certification in Creative Writing, also his major. Also attended Florida A&M University in the Studies of English. He has starred on tour in a gospel theatrical play at 5 years old. Since then, Young has developed a strong desire for the stage & music. He crosses boundaries of all genres. Some of his influences include Billie Holiday and Luther Vandross.
______________________________________________________________________________

Exclusive Interview: 



1. What was the very first starting point of your music career? Where did it all begin?
Everyone that knows me, knows that it all started in the church for me! I began singing in the choir, under the direction of my Mom. I would always see her, (she was the choir director & singer) and I knew I wanted to sing. So, one day I picked up the microphone while the adult choir was in rehearsal, and my Grandmother told my Mom to let me sing. I used to be scared to sing in front of the church so I'd always have my Mom by my side. One day she said, I started to close my eyes, not watch her, do my own thing, and I've been singing ever since.

2. How long have you been doing music?
I've been writing/creating/performing my own Music since probably Middle or High School. But I've been singing since I could probably walk.

3. Since the beginning of your music career all the way up until now what would you say are some of your most biggest accomplishments?
 I have shared the stage with some amazing people and huge inspirations of mine from all genres; Gospel to Hip-Hop, to R&B. Yolanda Adams, Brandy, SWV; meeting legends like Earth, Wind, and Fire. But I'd say one of my biggest accomplishments right now would be releasing my debut album independently this past February.

4. What are some obstacles that have may have came up on your music journey? How did you over come them?
I had to decide what was really important to me. People, friends, jobs, and even school. I left college my second year of attending Florida A&M University. It was a very hard time for me. My heart was yearning to work on my Music and perform full time, and I knew my heart was not in school right then. I had to follow my heart, although anyone would say "dropping out" and "missing your education" is not the ideal thing to do. My parents were skeptical of my idea at first. But, I just knew God would take care of me. And, he did. 

5. Name an artist that in the music industry like yourself that inspires you and motivates you in your music career?
Michael Jackson is a big influence of mine. He was an innovator and an amazing performer. I'd also have to say that Beyonce is another example of innovation and longevity. She gives 100% on the stage and shares so much passion for it. I think that is so inspiring.

6. When it comes time for music how do your family feel about it? Are they very supportive on it?
My family is amazing. They have always been totally supportive of my Music and my career as an artist and performer. I'm pretty sure they can sing all of my songs word for word!

7. What are your long term goals as a music Artist?
My goals are very big, I dream big! I'd like to continue making Music for the WORLD. I don't want stop until I continue to reach people in places I've never thought of. I want my next project to win a Grammy. I want to be in a feature film. Then, win an Oscar. I want to take over the World with my Art. 

8. What are some tactics you take in leading you to accomplish your long term goal as an artist?
The only tactical approach I have is to continue to grind hard, and don't stop! Then, I'd have no choice but to achieve what I long for.

9. At this current moment what is it that you have going on in your music career today?
Right now, I am performing in Japan, promoting my album. I am also getting ready to release a new single for my #TeamDeejayYoung Fans and Supporters, so I will be back in the studio soon. I am also still going strong with my YouTube Channel, So, there will be some brand new videos launching for the Subscribers out there to watch.

10. What advise would you give to any artist who trying to go in the same direction as yourself?
Never stop. Follow your dreams! Anything is possible if you just believe it. Always be yourself, be original and keep God first.

No comments:

Post a Comment